A Walk in the Park

PETWORTH TO MIDHURST VIA THE DEER PARK AND COWDRAY PARK

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A very early start left me hungry and a bit tired. Additionally, I was also reliving the wet Chichester route which ended at Petworth. This time, I was attempting a reverse but luckily, the weather didn't seem quite so bad.

Experience has taught me that walk grumpiness, from children and adults alike, is often a result of the two first mentioned factors. Many a problem or argument, thought intractable, can be miraculously solved by the administration of food. It was not really a feature of this route. The mild drizzle I found a bit grating and there were some significant roady bits that were a tad boring. Wisdom prevailed and at the conclusion of the walk, I ate heartily and I took my tired bones home.

Don't let my feelings on the day put you off because a jolly round the deer park was splendid and chunks of the wooded commons were very good. Knowing that there are a number of entrances and exits to Petworth Deer Park, open at different times is also valuable for route planning.

The other slight annoyance is that getting to Petworth and back is time-consuming. To make the most of the day, a train just after 6 was in order, followed by a bus number 1 from Pulborough. Not ideal. Also if you fancy a look in the house, you'll find you must wait until a 10 is on the clock. The deer park opens from 8-8 and the walker can enter when the gates open. You might try the cow yard entrance, the north car park or New Lodges on Upperton Road. None of this I knew for sure until I visited. The bus number 1 will take you back from Midhurst. There seemed to be considerable wait after the 14.30 bus and so I think I did well to catch this.

From the Market Square in Petworth, I headed round on the London Road and the east side of the park. It was just before 8 and I found an entrance open just north of the first car park. Make any route through you wish. I did a loop that got me closest to the deer and allowed me to see the house from the outside, before leaving via the tunnel and cow yard, just on the eastern side of the house. From here I returned to the northern edge of Petworth town and back on the western edge of the park, to follow the outer wall. At Tillington, leave the road and take the footpath to the church. You are on the Serpent Trail. You will rejoin the Upperton Road going to Upperton. The Serpent is easy to follow and, back at the wall after Upperton, you may spot the Upperton Monument within the park.

It is here that you take the Serpent as it dives deeply into the wood on Upperton Common. On Westland's Copse Lane, go west and join the bridleway going north before the Serpent takes you to Lodge Farm. Head to the west of the building. I slipped past the curious cows who were crowded on this side.

Snaking through Limekiln Rough, you enter more woodland interspersed with homes. After Leggatt Hill, the drive takes you round to Smithbrook, where you turn left. On the right of the road, follow the footpath and the line of pylons to the corner of the wood opposite. Cling to the western edge of Snapelands Copse west. A clutch of grazing horses snorted and whinnied as I walked through them. The character of this part is distinctly more equestrian. Entering the trees again you are on common land, first Ovis then Bexleyhill. Views emerge a little to the east, on the edge of this hill.

At Bexleyhill itself, join Highstead road west and switch back south to the footpath left of the drive, to the house. Leaving the wood and bearing left on the bridleway, you meet more horses at Grevatts. Follow the edge of Vining Common and head down hill at the junction. Walk a little to the right of the field and continue in a steady downward motion between the hedges. The surface of this bridleway is alternately sandstone and the path a little woodier than indicated on the map. Some views are visible southwards when you leave the trees. My hunger and weariness cemented my resolve to lunch and return, rather than continuing towards Chichester. For once, a good decision was made.

Back on the Sussex Diamond Way, skirt the field and then enter Cowdray Park on the right. The Jubilee avenue of trees takes you down towards the pond and towards a fenceline. Go a little westward and find the gate to the golf course. I lost the line a few times but keep in a steady direction to meet the A272. Go west and enter the field opposite.

The ruins of Cowdray Castle are seen across the polo fields. Look for the gate downhill and continue this line. The Cowdray estate colours are everywhere. The Cowdray Cafe was heaving and so I carried on south towards Midhurst. I walked close to the Tudor ruins but they are currently closed for general access. The visitor centre is open at weekends. A short walk at the entrance takes you over the Rother and in to Midhurst. Here you'll find the toilets, main bus stops and the South Downs Visitors Centre.

Just enough time to eat lunch at the Lions Den before the bus. Never a more satisfying eat. Once on the bus, the sun emerged for the first time all day.

Comments

Popular Posts