Last Bus Outta Uckfield

UCKFIELD LOOP VIA ASHDOWN FOREST AND HADLOW DOWN

There was a nip in the air on this delightfully sunny morning. I was hankering after a dry one after last week's experiences and also a bit of hill. I got both. Despite the uneasy potential of a Friday the 13th, I enjoyed some marvellous strolling. On the flip-side, it is clear almost nothing was learnt from previous walks that have been too long and, once again, I suffered from a lack of prep.

There are some really good bits of landscape on this route that are worthy of more walking but the disclaimer is that I totally fluffed the last bit in a race for public transport. My journey was a heady mix of close calls that might have taken the edge off a wonderful exploration to the east of Burgess Hill. The trip to Hadlow Down was envisaged as a stop at Wilderness Wood, with cafe and playing, but I arrived too late to enjoy it. I probably could have looped back to Uckfield in a much more pleasant way. I will revisit this.

Uckfield can be reached by a combination of the train and bus in under an hour, when timed right. From Haywards Heath you can get the 31 either from the station or the Hospital, where a 271 will taken you from Burgess Hill. It appears to be, possibly, the most convenient hub for an eastward starting point.

Beyond a rough loop from Uckfield, I'd not really plotted a route and it was on the bus that I spotted Buxted Deer Park and thought that a good starting point. From the High Street, take Hempstead Road east until it diminishes into Bowns Lane. Continue on Hempstead Lane and take the path on the right which joins a cut through to Tainter's Brook. At the Cul de Sac, join Hempstead Lane again and head right then left, onto The Wealdway. This follows the River Uck towards the Buxted Estate.

As you move between the ponds in this 12th Century park, you'll see Buxted Park Hotel, itself built upon the two hundred year old home of Thomas Medley. Turn the corner at the pill box, one of a surprising number you'll meet. Head up the Hill to the church of St Margaret the Queen with the yew tree as old as the estate itself. This is the only building left of the village, moved for the house to enjoy uninterrupted views - yes you heard me right.

Over the road, leading to the hotel, take the path between the hedges and the tarmac drive through the woods. At the road, go right to Coopers Green and over the crossroads. At the junction with the A26, cross and go immediately through the trees to Cobdown Lane and towards the farm. At Reeding's Wood, exit into the field. No clear route is shown but head towards the back fence and turn right at the farm.

I was mulling over my teenage daughter's friendship woes when I checked my phone to see if I was still on route. It was here I noticed I'd dropped my bank card and work bus pass. Cursing, backtracking and rushing through my options for getting home, it was but fifty metres when I experienced that particular blessed relief and found my cards lying abandoned on the path. Continue, in a better frame of mind, up hill to Hendall Manor Farm and back on to the Wealdway.

I brightened a little as I entered Rock Wood. The sandstone and undulation is surprising. A clue is given on the OS map. A pond bay is marked and the place is known as Furnace Wood which refers to the medieval use. As you exit the wood, you enter Brickfield Meadow Nature Reserve. Leave the Wealdway briefly to visit Fairwarp, enveloped in Ashdown Forest. After the pub, switch back onto Back Lane and take the footpath onto the the Sussex Diamond Way. There are many paths within this medieval hunting ground and you can change it up a little.

I crossed the stream and headed up the hill and saw a low structure on the opposite side. Fighting my way through the heather, I realised, this was the Airman's Grave and headed back downstream to cross it and have a look. You needn't do any of this excess movement but follow the fire break north to Crowborough Road. Some cows were causing trouble at the car park and dawdling gently in the way of the traffic near Ellison's pond. Head up to the trig on Camp Hill. This is the site of one of many distinctive clumps. Skirt the outside and rejoin the Wealdway. I kept going north because the high point of the forest at 223 metres is as lofty as Devil's Dyke. The high bit is not far from the tumulus marked on the map but if you enter Old Lodge Nature Reserve, you're on the wrong side of the fence. With nothing against the nature reserve itself, it was a time-consuming mistake. I nevertheless, did a circuit and backtracked to the car park, rejoining the Vanguard Way south over the other side of the road. If you've done it right you can go to the viewpoint and cross over to Greenwood Gate Clump before going to Kings Standing Clump. With such lovely weather, I rewarded my errors with a premium Mr Whippy. Truly expansive views are available all around.

Onward to Poundgate and I had a late lunch at the Crow & Gate before crossing to continue south past Newnham Park Wood. At Perryman's Lane, the Vanguard Way and The Sussex Diamond Way converge. Over Chillies Lane, head up the hill to Holy Trinity Church and turn right behind the school field. You'll exit the woods on to Burnt Oak Road. Enter Royal Oak Road. Continue towards The Homestead. There was some building work going on and it was not obvious that the path led off the driveway and round the back of the houses but it does and I disreguarded the Vanguard in favour of this route. On Fowley Lane go south and take the path to the railway line and over. More pill boxes abound, the first you can go inside.

Over the Uck, you reach Howbourne Lane, Go left and then right. to pass the farm at Smallberry Hill. Eastward, you merge with Five Chimneys Lane. Turn right into School Lane. It is true to say that it had only just dawned on me that, at gone four on the clock, I might struggle to get transport home. I was just so set on getting to Hadlow Down. I look back at a mildly satisfied, post-lunch observation of the bus stops at Poundgate. These are served by the Regency bus and wonder why, at 12 miles, I hadn't cut it short there. We will never know. Take the signposted route through the churchyard to reach the A272.

Somehow, avoid this unpleasant trafficky walk westward: With every passing minute, my travel options diminished. Buxted denied me a bus and I missed a train to Uckfield by moments. I ducked southward into Pound Green Lane and took the Wealdway back over the railway. Turning immediately left takes you to Hempstead Farm Stud and back to the junction with the Buxsted Estate. Twenty minutes later, I was catching the last bus back to Haywards Heath for a train home.

 

Comments

Popular Posts