Quite Common

CHICHESTER TO PETWORTH VIA THE TRUNDLE, SINGLETON, LEVIN DOWN, CHARLTON FOREST, HEYSHOTT, AMBERSHAM, GRAFFHAM, LAVINGTON AND DUNCTON COMMON

The day promised to be wet and it did not disappoint. In truth, it was the heat that caused me problems, initially. On arrival in Chichester, there was even a glimmer of sunlight from some direction and my coat remained in the bag but when the drizzle became that bit too heavy, the coat came out. This meant that with only a little exertion, I was perspiring. An uncomfortable prospect.

I'd left in haste, having overslept. I had the good thought to sling on my yoga pants, rather than something heavier but I forgot my sweaty waterproof trousers. I also had to run to the station, only to find my original train cancelled.

For all this minor trauma, I had a particularly nice walk over the hill and through a string of distinct commons. If it wasn't for the wet legs chafing, if I hadn't missed the bus by minutes and if it had been a little shorter, the route would have been and was a fine one of interest and contrast. October would be a good time to see the deer at Petworth and I'm thinking a reprise is called for on a drier day, leaving from the town.

Many of the trailheads in this area take around and hour to an hour and a half to reach, from Burgess Hill. Chichester, despite being the furthest west, is no different. A good excuse to begin here and go east. Take the train to Brighton and then west. The return from Petworth is via bus 1 to Pulborough and back by train via Three Bridges.

From the north side of the station, go directly north and then swing back east on to Southgate Street at the traffic lights. You'll very soon be crossing the line of the old Roman walls and heading to the market cross. Continue through the northern wall to the A286. Follow it east a little and down the side of the tennis courts and car park. Somewhere here runs the West Sussex Literary Trail although I could not see a sign of it on the ground. Go by the Festival Theatre and into Oaklands Park. Exit in the northeast corner and cross over into Connolly Lane into Havenstoke Park. Continue north on its western edge. and then back to Summersdale Road. Chichester was surprisingly sleepy and the traffic subsided for a rumble of thunder in the distance. Take Fordwater Road and bear left of the footpath on the edge of the field. I stopped to meet the enthusiasm of a black lab having an excellent walk. You'll cross the river Lavant before rejoining Fordwater Road. It now dawned on me that it was Goodwood Revival, where classic car owners descend the showground in a cacophony of souped up engines, misfiring and accompanied by the stink of fuel. I joined the queueing traffic going the other way. Proceed northwest, left into Pook Lane, pass the church, and take Sheepwash Lane. Cross the Lavant again and, on the first left, follow track away from the recreation ground.

You skirt the hill before beginning to ascend. This section is also part of the Monarch's Way An attractrive flint-faced building, The Rubbing House is on your left. Take the route to the masts and towards The Trundle on St Roche's Hill. Another one of the silly cars was being revived with water, served in a jug from the house, presumably for its ancient radiator.

I regret that there was little or no view from the top. The place is site of folklore, of legendary buried treasure, a neolithic enclosure, an iron-age hillfort and once home to a chapel and a masonic lodge. A walk along the ramparts in the sunshine would have been splendid but for another day.

From the trig, descend towards Goodwood and the road. Once again, I crossed a line of vehicles and continue north on Knight's Hill. Follow the footpath that appears on the left, after a time. This was an alleyway of grouse and pheasants, fleeing in panic. Descend into Singleton. Here I sheltered at St Mary's for a little while.

You are on the New Lipchis Way and you leave Singleton on the Charlton Road, to take the footpath off to the left which climbs Levin Down. The nature reserve is on the east side, for the most part and I confess, I took the wrong path back onto the Down and began going south again to reenter the woods. Making a hasty descent to my intended path, I rejoined Yorkhurst Hill, going south as it met with North Lane going back north. This enters Charlton Forest. Go immediately left on the footpath. At the large clearing with a spider of eight paths, take the footpath signposted northeast direct to meet the South Downs Way. Beyond is the trig point at Heyshott Down. Again, I was robbed of dramatic views of the Rother Valley and this was replaced by darkening skies, set with rain.

Head back west along the South Downs Way and pitch north to descend Heyshott escarpment and through some fabulous yew trees. Go right at the junction and continue north to join Austens and meet Heyshott Street. This way, I could pop in to the Unicorn to have lunch. After, go up the drive to the Rectory on the right and take the footpath, the New Lipchis Way again. After some fields, you reach the road. Turn right and a little way on the left, continue.

This is now the Serpent Trail and it snakes its way delightfully through a series of remarkable sandy, heathery, pine planted commons. I cut across the first bend on a forestry track and enter Heyshott Common. You can take your eye of the ball a little here, as the path is well signposted. Cross New Road and you're in Ambersham Common. The trig is over on the left. Some of the paths were watery but as my bottom half was completely saturated it was no bother to sploosh my way along. I tried to imagine the reptiles skittering about in blistering sunshine and butterflies flitting amongst the flowers. Still, the rain gave the place a fresh feeling and a handful of house martins and tits were active.

At Graffham, be sure to take the correct path to the Common and not the one that descends swiftly to the Graffham Common Road, as I did. This made for annoying tramp along the road to rejoin the trail on the right hand side. The trail takes you on Gallows Hill and the Wildlife Trust managed Nature Reserve. Near the road, I slightly confusing sign gives you options to avoid it, however, the alternative route appears join with it and is the one marked on the map at Barnett's Bridge. It was too difficult to then take the Selham Road on the right and continue onto the National Trust Lavington Common. The path switches back to cross said road. If you do not want to vault the gate in front of you, follow the fence line to the left and you'll spot the proper foot route. Now there is a stretch of Duncton Common until you reach Heath End. There is a shop here.

Follow the road north. It was a short but busy stretch to join the path along Kilsham Road. Take a moment to look over your shoulder at the road bridge that crosses the Rother. The road crosses it again as it bends round into Rotherbridge Lane. I was too much in a race to hesitate. Ignore Hungers Lane but take the next footpath on the left which passes Frog Farm. The ideal thing would have been to end up at Petworth House but my walk was too long and it was now a mission for a bus.

Sadly, while on the last stretch of path, you see the Tillington Road ahead. I watched as my transport home wound its way east, five minutes in front of me.

Heading in to Petworth and towards the church allows you a bus to Pulborough and a train home. I sat, a little bit cold and chafed, watching the final stream of Goodwood visitors in their fancy dress as they made their way home. On the train, I began to warm up and smell like a wet dog. Sorry everyone.


Comments

Popular Posts