Level Headed

EASTBOURNE TO PEVENSEY VIA BEACHY HEAD, WILLINGDON, POLEGATE, HAILSHAM AND THE LEVELS

The 52nd walk of this walking year proved to be a delicious October day. Some learning has happened and I both ate breakfast and chose to walk away from the sun from the outset.

I like to think that I have provided variety with this one. There is beach, hill and The Levels. The latter represent a great deal. Many years ago, when I had first arrived in Brighton, my terrible Customer Services job forced me out to get to know the area. One particularly epic 30 miler from Pevensey to Lewes saw a very hairy cow moment in this wild land of ditches and marsh. A herd began charging. With nowhere to get to, I considered a dive into to the water to escape. My life flashed and serialised before my eyes. Just once I'd given up surviving, or even being found, A flock of geese were spooked into the air, the thundering hooves were diverted and I had my reprieve. I still maintain The Levels want my life. I was very grateful for the GPS on this occasion, as navigation and not just beasts can be a challenge.

Nevertheless, choosing the walk itself seemed difficult for this momentous occasion and, again, planning was sketchy and kept me up too late, the night before.

Eastbourne can be made in an hour, with the right timing, changing at Haywards Heath. The return from Pevensey Bay was a little problematic and had I not been too tired, going to Pevensey and Westham station would have been preferable. I should have done this because changing and Normans Bay was not possible without an hour's wait. The barriers to the level-crossing just did not rise between trains and I watched my intended return train rumble away from this little station.

From Eastbourne Station, take the signposted route along Terminus Road to the seafront. Dash to the sea if you want, promenade or otherwise westward. The mist clinging in pockets visible from the train had lifted here and streetlife was dragging itself up to change for cups of tea and sleeping bags over the shoulder. A different selection of inhabitants were plumbing the strand at different rates for the health benefits of conversation, health and dog-walks.

You are already on The Wealdway and quickly you spot the pier, pass the bandstand and come upon the Martello Tower that never saw any action. It is known as the Wish Tower and serves as a place for a memorial garden civilians lost in WWII. Beyond and amongst the thickening groins is Holywell and the bulk of Beachy Head beyond. It is possible to scramble along the rock to Cow Gap at low tide. My route takes me up to the Gardens, of which I skirted the Italian one, a former quarry, before Helen's. There is a cafe here which was just opening.

On to the main road, continue westwards to the junction of footpaths at the foot of the hill. The South Downs Way will take you to Beachy Head as does the Wealdway but I chose the cliff line path as I wanted to drop down to make use of the low tide and visit Falling Sands. There are many paths on this access land. Simply follow the edge, past the playing field and take the steps down. I'm so glad I visited as it was peaceful with great views of the lighthouse  and a seal cried mournfully from just beyond Head Ledge.

Back at Cow Gap, ascend the steps and turn left at the first opportunity. Whichever path you choose, there's no avoiding the steep climb towards the trig point and Beachy Head Visitor's Centre. You can rejoin the South Downs Way to the memorial and viewpoint before coming back opposite. To the east of the pub and chaplaincy is a car park. If the ice-cream van hadn't hit first, a coffee at the shack beyond would have done nicely. Continue the line east then north beside the Beachy Head Road. The Wealdway will take you over at the junction with Warren Hill. At 168 metres, there's another white trig by a dew pond. Continue to cross East Dean Road.

The Wealdway and South Downs Way continues through the Eastbourne Downs Golf Club all the way to another trig at 201 metres at Bourne Hill. Here I became embroiled with a school cross-country 'run'. Very difficult to avoid and normal teenage banter ensued. Also, make sure you're not wearing your best white trainers because appropriate footwear allows you to go down a muddy path without screaming.

Now you can switch onto another bridleway, The 1066 Country Walk, going northeast. At the car park, make a small diversion to climb Crouch Hill and enjoy the views. Rejoin to ascend Combe Hill and you can enjoy what remains of a neolithic causewayed enclosure befored descending to walk on the edge of the Combe. Descend into Lower Willingdon beside the cemetery.

Go east on Gorringe Valley Road to go north on the Eastbourne Road. Leave the 1066 Country Walk and follow the footpath a little beyond it towards Polegate. Head for the gate beside Polegate Jubilee Nature Reserve and go under the railtrack. Lynholm Road opposite will hoin you to Pevensey Road. Wiggle east onto Levett Road and west onto The Cuckoo Trail. This route is dotted with references to the old rail route and parts of it, adorned with exercise equipment, if you fancy making your journey more strenuous. Go over the Polegate bypass and all the way to Hailsham.

Coming out and continue east then north past the pond on Station Road. Go East on George Street. Take Vicarage Street at the traffic lights and look for the footpath on the right. This is the Black Path. A series of paths decorate the estate and after Geering Park, go north to join Observatory View. Go east. Thinking about it, from a clearer view of the map, you can just follow Black Path to its end. I'd intended continuing out towards Little Marshfoot Farm but there are houses being built and the way was barred. Instead, I avoided it and went south to join Mill Road east. An alternative marked footpath was accessible to skirt the edge of the caravan path to White Dyke Farm. A small muddy manoeuvre to join the byway south was needed.

This is White Dyke and you'll be amongst the reeds. Look out for the footpath on the right to cross Down Level. I was satisfied to see the cows were not on my route. The path is not straightforward and the ponds variable. The footbridges are filled in bits over the ditches and you'll find the need to navigate around marshy areas. Later the FBs are proper gated bridges and here, there are beasts. My first encounter was at a distance. I was watched. The second, I stopped to sigh and tie my shoelace because beyond, the cows were sitting on my route at around Down Sewer. Much to my surprise, they were completely shocked at my arrival and ran with the sheep as far as they could. The relief. The blessing of Rickney Lane being solid under foot.

Go East and then take the footpath south to join the eastward route of the 1066 path again. This final section follows the Pevensey Haven, with the castle in view, to the Pevensey Bypass and beyond. Into Pevensey, follow the High Street and take Gaol Lane to the Church. Church Lane gets you to the A259 and south to Pevensey Bay Station. As stated, after a visit to the castle, you might want to go west to Westham and the station there.

For me, the sun set on 21 miler and it was a good one.

Comments

Popular Posts