Cast Off

NEWHAVEN LOOP VIA FIRLE BEACON, SOUTHEASE AND THE OUSE

In collecting a few unwalked bits on the South Downs, the highlight was that I've now walked part of the same stretch in very contrasting weather conditions. I feel I need a frosty or snowy take in the future. I will bank this intention.

Onward through Autumn, I experienced my first potential hat-wearing morning although I left without one. It soon warmed up but the day remained crystal clear with quite lengthy views at times, north and south. With only one gentle hill slog, the route was simple and mentally and physically forgiving, highly appropriate for a later start due to an earlier appointment. Once again, I am reassured that a little variation on the Downs is a valuable exercise. The hills are the big feature and although barren-looking in places, different aspects reveal lonesome hedge-lined ways, winding through the unfamiliar bottoms and curves. I remind myself that this is a landscape multipally millennially old, even if the sheep and cows that are obliviously grazing are infinitesimally younger. The changing perspective reveals the geological bulk of the chalk and flint and a tidal river is a natural and awesome power doing its work in an indifferent and unheeding manner. I think of Thomas Hardy and I think of people burying their dead and ultimately burning their waste and that the world will be here long after we've gone. Epic.

Newhaven can be reached conveniently via Brighton on the train or with a change here on the 12X coastal bus. I did the latter. Return raises similar options. The bus gives you a taste of the maritime which feels right.

From the Newhaven Town Station or the town itself, head west of the Newhaven Swing Bridge, over the Ouse and go south on the England Coast Path and Railway Road. Take Parker Drive to Safford Park on the left. This was once the site of the Felix pen factory, later taken over by Parker Pens. It became their global headquarters. The factory closed in 2010 and is now an affordable housing development named after pen magnate George Safford Parker.

Head straight through to the back of the grassy area and a path will take you alongside a ditch as you bear left to cross McKinlay Way. You will be in the Ouse Valley Nature Reserve. The bulk of the reserve is on your right but most is hidden and a worthy refuge for the birds. Continue to where you cross the Seaford Road and at 10 in the morning, with considerable patience. Avoid the dumped building materials and soon you turn right to ascend from the Ouse Valley floor, up through to Foxhole Farm. Continue on this line, ignore the obvious track that is not a footpath on your left and then enter the field. Spot the finger post on the brow of the hill, just to the right of the hedge.

At Norton Hill pause at the trough and remember to look back at the changing sea views. A chalk path takes you onward to Norton. A raven had a bath and made a gurgling call to another. Brown cows pleasantly bespattered the slopes. At Norton, turn left and follow Poverty Bottom and the bridleway past the pumping station. Built by the Newhaven and Seaford Water Company in 1899, the water was pumped from here to the Blatchington Reservoir.

At the next proper junction, turn right to begin the dip to Stump Bottom and climb up Gardener's Hill bridleway. This is a surprising hedgy hollow. Gardener's becomes Heighton Hill. Buzzards took advantage of the breezy heat to rise in circles. Do looking-around-you because views are big and 360. I stopped on a giant flint amongst the gorse and rabbits to eat an orange and rest with the relaxed brown cows. The sun dazzled in halos around their hides. Tilton Bottom reveals drainage patterns on the domey Downs. The bridleway splits on the map but the direct path to the car park is less obvious. Instead you walk to the left of the hill and tumulus to the South Downs Way.

Easy walking now as you walk west on the line of burials to 217m Firle Beacon. Beyond is the car park and the radio station on Beddingham Hill. This was a day for model aeroplane enthusiasts that clustered in serious enjoyment. I reflected that I was able to sea a great deal on this occasion and benefitted from having walked all the paths hereabouts to point out the landmarks; Charleston Farm and folly could be seen below. Arlington reservoir, the Glynde opera house wind turbine and the three turbines at Shepham Wind Farm were all very lively.

Red Lion Pond and Itford Hill trig marks the final mound before we return to the river. Take the footbridge over the A26 to Itford Farm and the YHA. I stopped for a late lunch here amongst the cafe sparrows. Now continue west over the Southease Station level crossing and the 1880 Southease Swing bridge. As you might expect, the route is the Sussex Ouse Valley Way. Follow the path south to Dean's Farm and over the Lewes Road. Take the driveway as this seems to be official and cross the field to the left to climb back up on the Harping Hill bridleway back to the Lewes Road. 

Cross the main road and take the one into Piddinghoe. I spun myself silly by reading the inscription on the Millennium post here. Take the path through to the river bank again. The Newhaven incinerator or 'Energy Recovry Facility' shows its best side over the Piddinghoe Pond, a lake used by Seaford Angling Club and owned by the Newhaven and Seaford Sailing Club. This was once a quarry for building materials, transported along the river. The most direct views of the incinerator are made as you turn in at the marina and exit onto Robinson Road. Egrets Way is a walking and cycle path that goes through the riverside park and joins the one we have walked. It is partly constructed. 

Turn right on the path to squeeze round to the main road. Turn left and go under North Way. In no time you are at the bus stop on South Way or follow Bridge Street back to the station.

Comments

Popular Posts