A Bit Academic

 BURGESS HILL TO STANMER VIA DITCHLING BEACON, WESTERN BROW AND STANMER DOWN
The walk was a means to an end, really. I had a small mission in Brighton and a need to be back in good time because I'm off on my Easter Hols on Saturday and loaded with pre holiday tasks.

It felt nice to get going straight from my front door because the last few walks have had a bit of transport to get to the trailhead, as it were. I was even impelled up the hill by the presence of a lady a good fifteen years my senior who I thought was walking in my wake. I did not want to be overtaken but when I turned back she was in the valley with her sweet dog. Thank you lady. You got my blood flowing and my lungs heaving.

After the wettest February on record I'm not even going to moan about the mud. I've rebalanced my feelings on this and I'm now only majorly perturbed if I have to wade through an impromptu river or lake, a reprioritisation this walk enforced. The weather was a bit more conventional and could have been described as April showers but with a blast of 25 mph winds and while a walk from Falmer to the east side of Brighton was doable, I cut it short for another day.

This walk can start from Burgess Hill Station or the London Road bus stop. Just follow the railway south on the east side of the station or cross the fields eastwards on the south side of the roundabout, respectively.

Pause on the railway bridge to make the statutory wave. I missed trains in both directions. Head towards the water tower field and out on the right hand side to Ockley Lane. Go south with care and take the path eastwards to Oldland Windmill. After, continue south. The right hand path that runs parallel to another will afford you extra views towards Jack and Jill windmills and Wolstonbury Hill. You may find parts quite muddy but a board walk has been constructed near the end nearest the slopey field, which makes things more pleasant. Rejoining Lodge Hill Lane, take the tarmac to the next path off to the left. This will take you over Lodge Hill itself and down towards Boddington Lane. You can rejoin Lodge Hill Lane and take the route past the Museum and Church to the roundabout or go directly to the High Street and south.

It was too early for the Green Welly and so I continued. East from the roundabout, take the Fieldway going south on the footpath signposted for the Downs. This will take you across some fields to join a bridleway going south past Jointer Copse, on Beacon Road and Nye lane in part, to Underhill Lane. Go east briefly before heading up the hill. It was half way up here that I encountered the lady and her dog. The dog stood on its hind legs to look at me over a bush. She probably was fitter than me but I, rather irrationally didn't want to find this out. You can take your time and enjoy the views from the side of the 248m Beacon.

You'll join the road near the top and if you cross the carpark and go west, you can bag the trig before returning to head east along the South Downs Way. You might get lucky with an ice-cream. The wind at this high point thoroughly blew the cobwebs away.

Past Home Brow you take the bridleway that descends Western Brow. It is quite exposed to the weather here and I crossed my fingers that the rain would hold off. It came just after I reached the brow of Bow Hill and while the cows on the north side eyed me gently as they sat, the cows to the south grazed upright in defiance.

Descending Stanmer Down, you'll join Streat Bostall at the houses. This tarmac bridleway will take you to a permitted path that continues southwards on the west side of The Ridge. At the first opportunity, take a path into the trees on the right side. This will take you on the edge of the university buildings. An access path takes you past a wood at Stanmer. You can enter this, if you wish and I did. However, I didn't find another way out suitable and so returned to the field to descend towards the church to the right of Stanmer House.

Just after the pond, There are a couple of eating options at the Stanmer Tea Rooms or One Garden and both are signposted. I returned on the track past Stanmer House and towards Lewes Road. Crossing the sports field, you can join University Way and take the underpass to Falmer station. You can catch a bus from here also into Brighton and back. I dithered a little but as the weather had closed in, I headed to the station and got home before the kids.

Comments

Popular Posts